Friday, May 27, 2016

What is Tabling?


 By Margaret Meyncke 

 Why do I love tabling? When I started with Sierra Club five years ago, I wasn’t sure how to help or what I could do to benefit our group. Then I was asked to table at an event. “What’s that?” I asked. They said, “The Sierra Club sets up a table with literature available and answers questions. It’s a chance to meet and greet the public and tell people about Sierra Club.” Wow! Great idea…except I didn’t know anything about Sierra Club. That led to research and exploration! There I was, fulfilling the first word of our motto… EXPLORE!

After making the commitment, my husband, John, and I purchased a pop-up, table, tablecloth, chairs, clamps, and banners. I began to practice my greeting skills and hone my information message. Our group purchased stuffed animals from the Sierra Club “Adopt an Animal” program. We have a system down that makes it smooth and easy to set-up and tear-down in ten minutes. Now, if someone says “Table Opportunity”, we get excited! Where to next? In the past, we have attended Lightning in a Bottle, the Tree Huggers Ball, and the Idyllwild Earth Fair. Most recently, we experienced the Temecula Recycled Art and Fashion Show and the Santa Rosa Plateau Garden Tour. I always make an effort to contact every other vendor, give them a Palm and Pines and share my passion for Sierra Club.

What’s the bottom line? It’s FUN! That fulfills the second word of our motto … ENJOY!
Tabling gives us the chance to get our name out in the public eye. Many people have never heard of Sierra Club. Just displaying the banners gives added weight and credibility to an event. Attending state meetings such as the California Trails Conference or the Back Country Horsemen of America gives the Sierra Club a presence in the community. We need to protect the legacy that we have received by increasing our popularity. Thus we fulfill the third word of our motto … PROTECT!




No comments:

Post a Comment


We are interested in your feedback.

Email: Michael.Momeni@yahoo.com